We’ve worked through so many people’s concerns and apprehensions as well as prepare an extensive robust plan to safely carry out THE ROC 2020. However, we have no choice now but to cancel THE ROC 2020, with no time left to allow the final restrictions to lift and ensure all parties involved can commit their resources to the event.

We have all put so much time and effort into this unique tough race, and no more so than those who had entered with their training, preparations and financial commitments.

We were still very much on track up until recently, but apart from the lack of an announcement for when the lifting of the 30 people limit would take place for events in Wales, we have seen increasing numbers of COVID-19 cases in key areas where many of our entrants live, and subsequently new lockdown restrictions imposed.

This also comes at a time when there is now mounting concern over the unexpectedly large number of visitors that have been coming to the area, with no expectation for it to change heading into September, a time when normally numbers drop off significantly. This is great news for local businesses and trade but as social distancing hasn’t been possible in many key locations recently and illegal parking is happening more and more around Abersoch, villages on the bike route and Snowdonia, we’re now seeing local MPs and Councillors with insurmountable concerns that this could lead to a fresh spread of COVID-19 and peoples safety is at too much risk. This means that local community councils and Gwynedd Council who are not currently allowing events to take place will not look at changing this now until after the summer.

It’s gutting to say the least, but it is time to accept we have run out of time!


Where we are now

Thank you so much for everyone’s support, their belief in the race and their belief & commitment to us that we would make the event happen. We will make sure next year is exceptional and is well worth the wait.

As per our Terms & Conditions, in this situation, entries will automatically be moved to next year’s race. If anyone can’t make this race then they have 30 days to transfer without charge to the other date of THE ROC, or they can transfer their entry on to someone else.

If none of the above work then participants can request a voucher to use at any future ROC event.

Thank you as always to everyone’s continued patience, understanding and dedication to work with us in this unique situation and I look forward to seeing everyone next year, when we wholeheartedly hope that this devastating virus will be contained, and life is back to normal.

Yours faithfully

Mark Durston
(Race Director)