THE ROC - SAT 27th APRIL 2019


It is with deep regret that due to the continued worsening of the forecast for both the day before & the day of the race itself, and that we are now dealing with Storm Hannah, we must take the decision to postpone THE ROC to a future date.

Your safety as well as all those involved in the preparation and management of the race are of paramount importance, and this latest forecast means we have no option but to postpone it to a future date.

We are sincerely sorry for any inconveniences caused and hope you understand and respect our decision. We want to make sure you still get to experience THE ROC challenge to its full and so are offering you the following:

There are still entries left for the Summer ROC on Saturday 7th September and we will also now make available to you the equivalent date for 2020 on Saturday 5th September 2020. We have opened these up to allow you to transfer to them straight away and you can do that by clicking on the “View My Events” button at the bottom of your confirmation email and selecting the appropriate event. This option will be available to you for the next 3 weeks. Otherwise, please bare with us while we speak to each authority and land owners to arrange the official new date we can move the race to. Due to the nature of the race and how far ahead most endurance triathletes plan, it will most likely be May or June next year.

Thank you for your understanding and support. I will be in touch as soon as possible to advise of the new date.

Mark Durston



THE ROC - SAT 27th APRIL 2019


If you are a competitor of THE ROC 2019 you will have received an email about this, but you will no doubt be aware that we don’t have a good forecast currently showing for Saturday 27th April and so we want to advise you of our plans and potential decisions for race day.
On the sea temperature front we’ve been getting some healthy temperatures where the course is positioned, with a couple of mornings reaching just over 12 degrees. This has fluctuated however from day to day so we are ready to potentially reduce the course distance or replace with the 3km trail run if it’s below 11 degrees. If the temperature has clearly dropped to well below 11 degrees on Friday morning we will make the call at 11am that morning for the change to the 3km run. Otherwise, we will be making the call on the final distance at 9am on Saturday morning.
Currently strong winds are forecast for Saturday morning which we are keeping an eye on as this too could have a factor on the swim going ahead or a shortened course, especially with regards to our safety team being able to operate effectively and the wind chill. The current direction of the wind would not mean much swell developing in Abersoch Bay which is in our favour at the moment.
Again the same call will be made either at 11am on Friday if it’s obvious the swim needs to be replaced with the 3km trail run or an hour before the start if we’re still left with the options before then.
With the strong winds currently forecast and potential of gusting we may make the decision to NOT ALLOW DISCS OR DEEP SECTION WHEELS. Please be prepared for this and have back up. Or if you can’t bring both sets for any reason then just come with the shallow rims in case we make this call. We will make this decision 11am on Friday.
Please be prepared to have suitable cover on the bike for the potential of wet & windy conditions on the day.
We will make the call at 11am on Friday whether we can keep Snowdon’s summit as the turnaround point for THE ROC. Safety is paramount and we are working with experts in the field who are well positioned to help us make the right decision. We have a strong safety team and event crew on the mountain during the event but we will not put them or yourselves at an unnecessary risk if conditions dictate.
Should we make this call then the turnaround checkpoint will be moved to Bwlch Ciliau at 4.2km up Snowdon, where the path from Y Lliwedd joins The Watkin Path. We will also move the lower checkpoint to The Old Mining Buildings at 2.4km up the path. They are both marked on the map below by a red circle. Also medics E and D will move to the new turnaround point and Plas Cwm Llan at position 6.
We hope you understand and respect our decisions. Even if we have to make the changes it will still be one hell of a course and we’ll be working hard to ensure you can enjoy this tough challenge event while maintaining the right safety on the course.
This information will be made available here at 11am on Friday. Please keep an eye on the website and make sure any fellow competitors are aware of the above too.
Mark Durston
Click on the map for a larger scale version

115km and 3,560ft elevation with a total ascent of 5,825ft
A totally unique race from sea level to the top of Wales’ highest mountain and back again.

A unique opportunity to focus your physical & mental strengths by indulging your competitive impulses in this inspiring new race. From the start line on Abersoch’s stunning beach you can see Snowdon’s imposing summit and for those ambitious adventure driven individuals who have yearned for the chance to race from the country’s most revered beach to the top of the country’s highest most famous mountain & back, this challenge is for you.